How to use mobile internet when visiting Singapore?
I’m currently on holiday in Singapore and I carry around an Iphone, an Ipad and a Vaio (as you do when you’re on holiday). I bought a Mifi device (Huawey E585) a few weeks ago, which means I can create my little Wifi hotspot anywhere I go as long as I have a 3G SIM card.
Starhub sells a pre-paid SIM card called MaxMobile Prepaid. It contains a credit of SGD12.
- You can buy it in any Starhub outlet (they tend to run out of stock at the weekend). You will need to show your passport during registration.
- The SIM card goes into the Huawey (I use the E585) and connects to Starhub network immediately.
- However it’s not operational until you activate the credit. Because you registered using your passport, the only way you can activate the credit is by talking directly to customer care on 1633.
- To identify yourself you will need to quote the 8-digit number that appears on the package of the pre-paid SIM that you bought.
- The lady on the phone will ask how many days you want to activate using your available credit. After she activates it, you will be able to connect to the internet immediately.
To top up your account,
- buy a SGD18 Happy Top-up card from Starhub or Seven-Eleven.
- call 1633 to credit your account and activate more days.
- You will need to quote your 8-digit SIM identifier as well as the codes that appear on the Happy Top-up scratch card.
I used Starhub with the Huawey without any problem during my stay in Singapore and could connect the IPhone, IPad and Vaio to it.