- 13:30 Started install, booted from DVD.
- 14:26 OS Installed ok. Had a crash during install after creation of the admin user but carried on with install. My NVIDIA Quadro FX3500 is recognised immediately and works in 2500x1600. Did not have to install the NVIDIA driver yet, using the driver provided by Microsoft. Now running Windows update.
- 15:32 Windows updated completed. Rebooting OS.
- 16:00 Ran Windows update again. Service Pack 1 does not appear in Windows Update yet. Installed Kaspersky 184.108.40.2065.
- 16:40 Installed Office Ultimate and ran Windows update. Office Service Pack 1 appears in the list of updates. Started installing it.
- 17:26. Office Service Pack 1 installed ok.
- 18:15. Finished configuring Outlook email. I have a Hauppage WinTV-HVR. Does it support Vista 64? Apparently yes according to this page: http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/whatsnew/vista.html
- 18:45 Downloaded the software and Vista 64 drivers for WinTV-HVR 1100 from the Hauppage support website. Driver install failed: it could not find the hardware. Interestingly, Windows Media Center can use the card: though downloading TV guide failed, scanning of freeview channels worked perfectly.
- 19:00 Understood why downloading the TV guides with Windows Media Center failed: Kaspersky antivirus was being to keen. Disabled it and it worked fine.
- Installed the logitech drivers of my S510 keyboard to be able to control Media Center from the Logitech remote. It works brilliantly.
Sunday, 23 March 2008